Friday 4 June 2010

I am a Flexitarian Localvore!


In greening one’s routine, perhaps it helps some people to put a funky fad name on it, to sound up to date, knowledgeable and fashionable. The title of this blog post refers to the fact that my diet is mostly vegetarian because meat creates a lot of carbon emissions in production, but I am flexible in that I will happily tuck into a locally sourced organic sausage or roast chicken on occasion. Personally I do not think that these silly frilly names are necessary and quite frankly may be a demonstration of green snobbery i.e. ‘I know the lingo therefore I am supremely green and a better person than you’.


At the same time, the lovalvore movement is growing and having an exclusive name like that makes people feel that they belong to an exciting and secret club. On the other hand, it may also put people off. Anyhow, whatever you want to call it, there are clear environmental benefits to choosing food that produces less carbon emissions either in its production or travel and that can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment